Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

Are you there God? Remember me?

Ok. Just WTF.

Yes, I am alive. Yes, I am surprised. I am now back in Texas.

On Tuesday of last week, I injured my foot doing a kick in Tae Kwon Do. Sprain and hematoma. No biggie. Got off the crutches and was on a cane by the time I had to fly to California on Sunday.

I had meetings all day Monday and Tuesday, but kept off my foot, took frequent breaks, iced it at times.

Tuesday night, a co-worker took me back to the hotel so I could put my foot up. I was laying in bed watcing some TV and had just finished some fruit and yogurt. A little while later, my left side started hurting when I took in a breath. I thought it might be a pulled muscle, so I put heat on it. When that didn't work, I thought it might be gas, so I took some Tums. No help. It just kept getting worse and worse.

I finally had a cab take me down the road to the Stanford Hospital. I got pumped full of morphine, ativan and toradol. They said there was something on my bloodwork that needed for me to get a CT scan. Sure enough, I had two blood clots in my left lung. Pulmonary Embolisms. I got admitted and spent that night and last night in the hospital.

I am now doing twice daily injections of Lovenox (blood thinner) for a week, Warfarin/Coumadin (blood thinner) for up to 6 months. I have Lortab for pain. They released me this afternoon to fly home since I was keeping good oxygen levels without assistance.

I just got home and did my first home injection and took my meds. I'm not supposed to exercise. I'm not able to drink for like 6 months. I have to put off my final breast reconstruction surgery for at least six months.

I have a doctor appointment tomorrow morning and they are supposed to help me figure out where we go from here. They found a couple of other things on the CT scan we need to figure out. A possible aneurism in the artery going to my spleen. A hypodense nodule on my thyroid. Moderate pleural effusion. Oh, and the two blood clots.

What the holy HELL???? I mean, I sprained my foot, go to a meeting and suddenly I'm falling apart???

Anyway, I'm alive and damn glad to be home. I'm hoping to rest this weekend - maybe take the kids over to mom's for a day or so. Scott leaves for a trip on Sunday and will be gone until Friday. Timing sucks, but it's a contract job that he needs.

Now I'm going to lay down and see if I can get some rest. First, I'm going to look up some of these things and figure out what I'm facing.


( 34 thoughts — Whatcha' think? )
Nov. 9th, 2007 03:33 am (UTC)
WTF is right!!
My god, I'm glad you're home safe.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Nov. 9th, 2007 03:42 am (UTC)
Thanks. I'm glad to be home finally, too :)
Nov. 9th, 2007 03:38 am (UTC)
Dear god! I am so sorry! Get better, woman!
Nov. 9th, 2007 03:42 am (UTC)
Thanks. I really hope they can figure out some of the things that were on that CT scan because they scare the shit out of me. 'moderate sized pericardial effusion'? Wait, doesn't that mean I have blood or fluid AROUND my heart???? Couldn't an aneurism to my spleen rupture? What are the chances of more clots or existing ones going to my brain? Pretty much scares me to death.

On a MUCH brighter note, just opened the 'we moved' mail from you guys and that picture of Duncan has got to be the cutest thing I've seen in a while. Brightest part of my day, that's for sure!
(no subject) - weswilson - Nov. 9th, 2007 03:47 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - trshtwns01 - Nov. 9th, 2007 03:55 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - weswilson - Nov. 9th, 2007 03:58 am (UTC) - Expand
Nov. 9th, 2007 03:51 am (UTC)
Oh man, girl. I...I don't know what to say. Sounds rough. Hugs.
Nov. 9th, 2007 03:54 am (UTC)
(Deleted comment)
Nov. 9th, 2007 04:00 am (UTC)
I spent a couple of hours trying to convince myself it was either a pulled muscle or gas. I finally figured I wouldn't be sleeping anyway, so I may as well get it checked out. Really glad I did.

Did you have any trouble with the blood clots? Where did they happen?
Nov. 9th, 2007 04:22 am (UTC)
OMG! Do they think it was from the hematoma or do they think it was from your prior surgeries? Jesus!

I am SO glad you went to the hospital and so glad that they caught it.

Ironically, my best friend in Austin was telling me about her friend who just had gastric bypass and ended up with a clot on her lung. They were ready to discharge her and she said she wasn't feeling right. They told her that if she hadn't spoken up she would have been dead in 24 hours.

Damn girl, just when you really need a drink.......

Nov. 9th, 2007 05:03 am (UTC)
I hope to know more tomorrow after meeting with my doctor here. I have no clue why it happened, and neither do the docs really. They think it MAY have been from the massive hematoma on my foot from the injury last Tuesday. Who really knows though.

I want to find out more about the clots, the suspected aneurism going to the spleen, the fluid around the heart and the nodule on my thyroid. Now I know why people don't get full body MRIs or CT scans. You can find all kinds of potentially scary stuff, which are probably nothing but you spend all sorts of time worrying about them.
Nov. 9th, 2007 04:39 am (UTC)
Holy SHIT hun! I know we're very new to eachother's LJ list, but please know you are in my thoughts & prayers.

My husband has a heart problem (lone atrial fibrillation) & so I know a lot about those blood thinners. YUCK! Be very careful because as I'm sure you already know you're going to feel VERY weak from them. They once thought he had a pulmonary embolism & the whole process was so scary. I can't even imagine going through all that by yourself!

Nov. 9th, 2007 05:05 am (UTC)
They had me too drugged to worry about it :) Now that I am off the morphine and on less-foggy drugs is where I start worrying. The blood thinners have me feeling a bit tired, and the injections have my stomach looking like a punching bag. Each injection causes a massive bruise, and even though I alternate sides and sites, it just means that more of my stomach looks that way. :) I'll post more after talking with my doc tomorrow.

Thanks for the prayers.
(no subject) - tigerheartdrebl - Nov. 9th, 2007 06:30 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - 1smart1 - Nov. 9th, 2007 01:31 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - trshtwns01 - Nov. 9th, 2007 03:40 pm (UTC) - Expand
Nov. 9th, 2007 12:52 pm (UTC)
Aw, beautiful, I am so sorry. :-( It is always the small things that lead to the big problems. Sigh. Please take care and I hope you'll be all better soon!
Nov. 9th, 2007 01:30 pm (UTC)
Oh My God, woman!! Do you need me to come out there?
Nov. 9th, 2007 03:41 pm (UTC)
I should know more after seeing my primary physician and the cardiologist this afternoon. If they say I should be fine, then being alone with the boys all of next week won't be a problem. If they say take it easy...that's a whole other animal.
(no subject) - 1smart1 - Nov. 9th, 2007 04:24 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - 1smart1 - Nov. 9th, 2007 04:25 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - trshtwns01 - Nov. 10th, 2007 04:50 am (UTC) - Expand
Nov. 10th, 2007 12:29 am (UTC)
A haematoma/bruise plus air pressure changes due to flying as well as inactivity due to the sprain can all add up to thromboses/clots. Deep vein thromboses can kill (stroke and/or heart attack). I am just glad that they caught it at the "this hurts" stage!

I hope that me being all science-y and medical has not made things more scary - I work on the assumption, myself, that the more I know about the less I can be scared of the unknown...


Edited at 2007-11-10 12:35 am (UTC)
Nov. 10th, 2007 12:35 am (UTC)
I am just glad that they caught it at the "this hurts" stage!

Aren't we all!

I've been whapped upside the head by trshtwns01's situation - and the lucky outcome - all day. I've alternated between "I can't believe it" and "Thank God they caught it!"
(no subject) - trshtwns01 - Nov. 10th, 2007 03:10 am (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - trshtwns01 - Nov. 10th, 2007 03:10 am (UTC) - Expand
Nov. 10th, 2007 12:45 am (UTC)
BTW - I love that icon!
Nov. 10th, 2007 06:54 am (UTC)
Scans tend to tell you more than you want to know. My mom had an abd ultrasound when she had a kidney stone a few years ago and the tech piped up that she has a huge gallstone.

Not surprised you threw a couple of clots following the hematoma. My grandmother had several after taking a bad fall and was on blood thinners for a few months afterward.

Re the effusion, pleura encases the lungs and the pericardium encases the heart. GruntDoc has a funny story about draining a pericardial effusion: Lifesaving... culture stick.

I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow (later today, now) so I'll bounce off Vogon whether he's up for helping me put together a few days' worth of meals for you. I'll call if it becomes more solid than a nebulous plan.
Nov. 10th, 2007 05:59 pm (UTC)
Damn glad they didn't have to drain anything out of me :)

My husband said basically the same thing - there's a reason they don't usually do full body MRI or CT scans. You find all kinds of things that may or may not be a problem and spend great time and money chasing down nothing. All the while, you worry about something you never would have known about.

Thanks, and drop me a line if you guys decide to do something. I certainly wouldn't refuse ;) It was YUMMY and a lifesaver. It wouldn't have to be much since it would just be for me. Scott will be gone all week and I'll be here alone with the boys. I called the maid service to come in on Monday so I don't have to look at the results of a week of Scott home alone with the boys *laugh* I can pack the kids off to school and then REST. YAY.
(no subject) - 1smart1 - Nov. 10th, 2007 08:46 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - trshtwns01 - Nov. 10th, 2007 10:08 pm (UTC) - Expand
(no subject) - 1smart1 - Nov. 10th, 2007 08:46 pm (UTC) - Expand
Nov. 12th, 2007 07:23 pm (UTC)
OMG, Trish!! Sorry, I'm only now getting around to reading my f-list! Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. This is so friggin' scary!!!
( 34 thoughts — Whatcha' think? )