?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

Yesterday was a really bad day. Mr. Pibb kept going downhill and I made the tough decision to return him to the SPCA and let him be put to sleep. He was such a doll for the week that he was with us, and I have come to terms with the fact that he was too sick when he came to us.

I really miss him.

With that experience behind us, I am a little bit more reserved with the joy of this announcement. I'm also a bit put off with the idea of a 'replacement dog'.

I'm sure when I'm feeling less sad about Mr. Pibb, I will share with a bit more joy.

Today, I went down to the Deeley SPCA location. I didn't feel comfortable going back to McKinney. I also found out where the closest VCA hospital is so I can take our new puppy there instead of to the McKinney office for his 5 day exam.

Meet Shasta, our new baby boy (keeping with the soft drink theme). He's four months old and APPEARS TO BE PERFECTLY HEALTHY! He's vibrant, snuggly, eating, drinking, giving kisses, playing with toys, gnawing on bones, normal dog stuff. We THINK he's part Lhasa Apso, part Chihuahua. Someone at the SPCA downtown thinks Chinese Crested Powderpuff. What would be your guess?




Comments

gurdonark
Oct. 3rd, 2007 03:05 am (UTC)
I'm sorry about Mr. Pibb. I am glad you did not let the experience deter you. Shasta is very cute!
trshtwns01
Oct. 3rd, 2007 03:36 am (UTC)
We were quite determined that we were going to rescue a dog, and I also needed to keep going (and quickly) so I didn't keep stewing about the bad experience.
natf
Oct. 3rd, 2007 03:46 am (UTC)
That is what I did when Pixel's twin died - I went out and came back with Smudge two days later! ;-p
nefri
Oct. 3rd, 2007 06:15 pm (UTC)
do you think a rescue organization for the dog's breed would pcik up mr. pibb if you called them?
trshtwns01
Oct. 3rd, 2007 08:31 pm (UTC)
He didn't really have a dominant breed, and it would be prolonging his suffering with very slim chances of surviving. If it had been something 'fixable', he wasn't in pain, or it was only a matter of money, we would have kept him with us and fought as long as we needed to.
nefri
Oct. 4th, 2007 04:31 pm (UTC)
AWwwwww.... Might I ask what was his malady?
trshtwns01
Oct. 4th, 2007 07:14 pm (UTC)
He had an extremely high level of larval and adult heartworms. On top of that, he had bordatella which turned into pretty severe pneumonia in both lungs. When we went to our dogs' doctor because we didn't agree with the 'he's fine, it's just kennel cough' diagnosis we got from the SPCA, he was septic.

He would have to get over the pneumonia and septicemia before he could even think about being treated for heartworms. Having heartworms, they couldn't aggressively treat the pneumonia and septicemia. They said that even if he responded to the treatment that would give him only a 50/50 shot of surviving and that's before tackling the heartworms. By the time they got him well enough to treat him for heartworms, the heartworms would probably have already killed him.

It was a tough decision against some really piss-poor odds that I made the decision to not put him or my kids through that kind of torture with very little chance of having him come out the other side.
1smart1
Oct. 4th, 2007 07:16 pm (UTC)
Oh jeez. No wonder your heart is so broken. But you made the right decision. For everybody.
nefri
Oct. 5th, 2007 06:18 am (UTC)
i understand. so sad:((