Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

Just sick

I think we have to put Mr. Pibb down. I took him to our regular vet because we didn't trust the opinion we were given on what's wrong with him from the SPCA vet. Turns out he has a very low white blood cell count (around 1000), is septasemic, has bilateral pneumonia, and suspected parvo. The heartworm count in his blood is extremely high. We can hospitalize him there for an unknown length of time, with treatment around $100 a day, and if he responds to treatment, he would have a 50/50 shot of living.


The poor baby is so sweet, and it just sucks that this has to happen to him. I've got to go cry now as I pick him up from the vet and go to bitch out the SPCA. They have a $500 cap for treatment during the 14 day period after adoption. They need to treat this baby, give me my money back, do SOMETHING!!!!

I don't want him to suffer through all of this.


Oct. 2nd, 2007 03:26 am (UTC)
The sad thing is that Kennel cough, what he was originally diagnosed with, can turn into pneumonia. It is such a contagious disease which is why dogs on the adoption floor usually aren't treated for it. And those few lucky ones that are still won't come through for some reason. I had to take two dogs back to the treatment annex this afternoon and discovered that 3 dogs that were back there, were no longer there... or anywhere.

I do wish that they could do a heartworm test to see how bad the infection is. So many dogs spend months on the floor because people are scared that a heartworm positive dog has no chance.

I don't know if <lj user="trshtwns01"] can get any of her money back though, since she had to do all this with another vet. I'd still suggest going up there and talking with one of the higher ups. Both the Dallas Shelter and the McKinney Clinic are at fault, the Dallas one for taking a sick dog to an offsite event, and the McKinney one for not checking more into the health of the dog.
Oct. 2nd, 2007 03:34 am (UTC)
I've pretty much written off the $300 I spent at my own vet, because it was money well spent. It told us exactly what was wrong with Mr. Pibb and probably kept him from a very painful and extended treatment, or probably death.

The almost $200 for adoption of him in the first place, they were surprisingly willing to give me the 30 day exchange. Probably a CYA on their part for not catching how serious his illness has gotten and not recognizing his lethargy, cough and heartworms could indicate there was something bigger at play.

I plan to spend a couple of weeks looking at the McKinney and Dallas shelters for a young dog that catches my heart. Can be male or female, small or medium, and just needs to be sweet, playful, good with kids and other animals.

When do you work? I was told to come back on Wednesday to see if they had processed all of the animals they had come in today. I looked around back and the only smaller dogs were mostly chihuahua or dachsand (two dog breeds I am not interested in). There was an ADORABLE puppy, but as a lab mix, he will probably turn out to be quite a bit bigger. Cute though.

Let me know when you work during the week (oh, and your name *laugh*) and I'll find you if you are working when I come in.
Oct. 2nd, 2007 04:12 am (UTC)
Hah, I prolly came across ya and didn't even know it. I work Sun-Wed, all day. I'm usually in the back, working the adoption floor, though I sometimes wander off durring quiet times to do laundry, wash dishes, take trash out, ect. Name's Kristin, btw.

All those Chihuahuas and the dachshund that were in the back are from the 106 dogs puppy mill rescue on Sept. 13. We sent most of them to Dallas, since we just got in another puppy mill with 240 dogs last Wednesday. Mostly smaller breeds, but they won't be available till after Oct. 5.

The little black lab puppy prolly won't get much over 40lbs I think, as usually at 3 months of age, the big labs are already much bigger. Her sister was adopted Sunday, so we're hoping she'll find a home as well soon.

Our holding area is nearly full, so we'll have lots of dogs coming to the adoption floor all week.
Oct. 2nd, 2007 04:37 am (UTC)
We had to have run across each other. I feel like I spent half of my day over there with Mr. Pibb from lunchtime until almost 3. I was in the back to hand him over, the middle to have the vet look over the records, and then in the available dogs section.

When I go in on Wednesday, I'll ask if you are around. I plan on looking on Wednesday and Friday in McKinney and maybe take a Wednesday or Thursday trip to the Dallas office. If not, I'll try to go to the offsite this Saturday at Collin Creek.
Oct. 2nd, 2007 03:36 am (UTC)
Oh, and if you have a strong dog, 95% will be fine after heartworm treatment. While it scared me, I didn't see it as a death sentence. Just a long hard treatment over the next couple of months that was well worth saving this adorable little boy and making him a part of our family.

Unfortunately, the doc at the initial intake, and then the vet when we took him in for his five day, both missed the larger picture, which meant he wasn't, and maybe never would be, healthy enough to begin treatment on the heartworms.