trshtwns01 (trshtwns01) wrote,

October campout

The boys had a GREAT time fishing with Daddy yesterday, and got home around 5. They even got to drive the boat. Scott says Michael is a natural and even steered them under the bridge while properly slowing down. He was amazed.

Since tonight is really the last night for a WHILE that I won't 1) have to get up for work and to take the kids to school or 2) be recovering from surgery, we set up the tent after they got home, blew up two air mattresses and got ready for a campout!

Camping out consists of me and the boys trying desperately to get sleep out in the backyard, while the dogs whine because we won't let them in (they were dirty) and seemingly hundreds of cars pass by on the main street through our neighborhood. We took thick comforters, pillows, their leappads and a book for me, and a flashlight for each of us. I was floored that after only 30 minutes of leappad, Matthew put his up and went to sleep. Michael soon followed. We were in and out of sleep all night. Michael kept having to pee, which I think had to do with the fact that I was letting him do it in the corner of the yard. Matthew, however, refused to go outside and insisted on coming in every time he had to go. I used that as an opportunity to empty my old Mama bladder as well.

Our true test was on our tent-making skills, though. I debated, because it was such a nice night, leaving the rain guard off so we could watch the stars. I decided to put it on because it would probably get much colder and I wanted to block the breeze. GOOD CALL!!! I don't know HOW this happened, but at 2 am this morning, the sprinklers in the backyard came on. We spent a good 30 minutes being 'rained on' and praying the tent was actually watertight. (It was, except for later when we opened the door and water dripped in). I NEVER run the sprinklers on Saturday night / Sunday morning because that means you can't use the yard on Sunday. I also know I set up the sprinkler system to only run on Thursday morning at 2 am due to water restrictions. Somehow, it's gotten off again or someone decided to play a cruel joke. :) We survived.

After the 'rain', it got REALLY cold out there. At one point, we were all huddled together on a single twin mattress with our comforters over us. That spread out later (thank GOD because I couldn't move without first moving a child part). At about 6 am this morning, I'm guessing, one of my neighbors, either behind us or catty-corner from us, thought they needed to go out and get in their hot tub. The bubbles were LOUD for some reason. And they kept resetting it for a good 30-45 minutes. Shortly after, the sun started coming up and we packed up our stuff to come inside. I have to let the tent dry out before I attempt to break it down. Maybe later today.

I'm so glad I got to spend that night talking, snuggling and sleeping next to my wonderful boys. No video games, no TV, no bright lights. Just us having a good time in the backyard. It will give me good memories while I'm in the hospital.

For now, I've fed the boys and told them to QUIETLY play video games to keep them occupied and out of my hair. Scott is still asleep in our room. He was so exhausted yesterday that he was grouchy. Sleeping outside seemed to have brought back the cold I thought we had all kicked, so I took a couple of Nyquil and am curled up in my chair with a heating pad on my back, my Sgt. Pepper's blanket over my legs, and I'm going to try to catch a nap.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.