?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

Bad host mommy (Gross)

After school, I caught Matthew eating some Cocoa Krispies right out of the box and told him to stop.

A couple of hours later, our guest dog started getting sick. I thought it was poop at first, because of the color. I cleaned it up, and took him outside for a little while. He continued to throw up every few minutes - totalling about 10 times.

We were trying to figure out what in the WORLD he could have gotten into, when I suddenly remembered Matthew eating chocolate cereal. I asked him if he had fed the dog, because he knows better. He said no, but that he SPILLED some, and the dog got into it. Great. Just great. Chocolate being poisonous for dogs, and all.

The owner of the company I keep the dogs for, fortunately, lives right behind me. I went over and talked to him, and we looked at the dog. We think that he didn't get a chance to really absorb much, and his body started throwing it right up. Thus the dark brown color.

He has since stopped throwing up (hasn't for about 1 1/2 hours now), and is just laying next to me on a towel. He's alert, just feeling a bit worn out by the amount of times he was sick.

I feel HORRIBLE, and have lectured Matthew until I'm blue in the face. I'm so glad the puppy isn't hurt!!!! It scared me to death. I can't imagine how I would feel if my dog went to stay with someone and got really sick while visiting them.

I'm sure I'll sleep with him next to me tonight, to make sure he is ok and try to make up for letting this happen right under my nose.

Comments

( 2 thoughts — Whatcha' think? )
genebob
Aug. 19th, 2006 03:54 am (UTC)
theobromine
it's the theobromine in chocolate that is poisonous to dogs. concentrations are much higher in DARK chocolate, but any amount isn't healthy. There's plenty on the web about this. Just Google +chocolate +dogs +poison and you'll find info.

I found some good, credible info on DogOwnersDigest.com.
rexs_wife
Aug. 19th, 2006 04:42 am (UTC)
I found this online.

Are some chocolates more toxic than others?
Yes. Unsweetened (baker's) chocolate contains 8-10 times the amount of Theobromine as milk chocolate. Semi-sweet chocolate falls roughly in between the two for Theobromine content. White chocolate contains Theobromine, but in such small amounts that Theobromine poisoning is unlikely. Caffeine is present in chocolate, but less than Theobromine.

Quick Guide for Theobromine levels in different types of chocolate:
From The Merck Veterinary Manual, 8th ed
# Unsweetened (Baker's) chocolate = 390-450 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate
# Milk chocolate = 44-60 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate

Semi-sweet is a bit less than half of the Theobromine content as Baker's chocolate.

How much is too much?
The toxic dose of Theobromine (and caffeine) for pets is 100-200mg/kg. (1 kiliogram = 2.2 pounds). However, various reports by the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) have noted problems at doses much lower than this - i.e. 20mg/kg.

Translated to a "typical" scenario, and using the 20mg/kg as a measure of "problems can be seen at this level of ingestion", a 50 pound dog would have to consume 9 ounces (+/-) of milk chocolate to consume the 20mg/kg amount of Theobromine. Some dogs won't see problems at this rate. Some may.

This is a much more conservative toxic level calculation than the "standard" of 100-200mg/kg, but better safe than sorry. A dog sneaking a couple M&M's shouldn't have a problem, but it isn't a good habit to get into!
( 2 thoughts — Whatcha' think? )