Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

Matthew had his surgery this morning and it has been a REALLY long day today. And it is just now 4:00. We had to be at the hospital at 7:30 to get him checked in. They soon took us back and we changed Matthew into nifty yellow 'I'm a good patient' jammies. He received what I call his 'happy juice', a cocktail to give wakeful sedation. The nurse called it 'liquid courage'. They gave him a stethoscope to play with and before long he was trying to listen to his feet and the wall. :)

Shortly thereafter, they rolled him off for sinus surgery. When I asked the doctor how long it should take, she said anywhere from a half hour to an hour. While we were checking in all morning, I had seen her and other doctors coming out into the waiting room to tell parents and other family that their loved ones had come through their surgeries with no problems. An hour and a half after his surgery started, the doctor came to the door and motioned me to come talk with her in the next room.

My heart leapt up into my throat. Why wasn't she coming out into the waiting room to tell me things had gone fine, and why did it take way longer than she thought it would?

She proceeded to tell me that they were able to enlarge the openings for the sinus cavities on Matthew's right side with no problems. They had problems going into the left because of the nature of the substance that was clogging them. He started bleeding. They finally got him to stop bleeding, but weren't able to do things as well as they wanted because of it. Everything was fine after that, but because of the bleeding and problems, they would not be able to do the high-pressure irrigation they had planned for every few days after the surgery to clear things out. Instead, he has to come back and do the surgery AGAIN two weeks from Friday. :(

Matthew was pretty grumpy when he came out of his anesthesia, and was not pleased with the IV coming out of his arm. He got shot up with morphine because of the pain in his head. He also is swelled in the face and looks like he'll have quite the black eye on the left side. We got some apple juice in him and I spent a good hour filling wet washcloths with blood from his nose. (Sorry to be so graphic, but that's what we did). He wouldn't eat an ice pop, wouldn't drink anything past one cup of juice and they finally decided enough was enough. He got the IV removed and I carried him out to the car (Scott is out of town on business with his new job and couldn't reschedule). He's been laying on the couch off and on ever since we came home and I just dosed him with Vicoden again.

I'm trying to decide whether to have him sleep with me tonight, or if he will be ok in his own room, which is just outside our door. The only problem with his room is Michael. The last thing I need is for Michael to jump into Matthew's bed and try to wrestle with him in the morning.

One cheerful thing today though - when my mother brought Michael home from school, he had a card made by Matthew's class. All of the other students had done handprints and wished him to be better soon. He's only been in school for one week, and he'll be out for the next week or so. Then he MIGHT get to go back to school for a few days before he has to go through it all over again - including being out of school for another week to a week and a half.

With all of this going on, I haven't been doing my back and stomach exercises like I should, and have been carrying Matthew around more than usual. I think I've got another herniated disk (same one, I'm assuming, just aggravated again) in my lower back, so I'm sneaking off for a few minutes tomorrow, while mom watches Matthew, to see what can be done.


( 8 thoughts — Whatcha' think? )
Aug. 11th, 2004 12:59 am (UTC)
I can't even imagine going through that. You are a strong woman.

Keep imagining how much better Matthew will be, when all this is complete. How much improved his life will be.

I wish I could be there to help out.

Stay strong...

Aug. 11th, 2004 04:28 am (UTC)
and no more dairy for the boy, right?

I think dairy is what made me so sick in the same way as Matthew when I was young. If only they had had food allergy testing when I was little!
Aug. 11th, 2004 12:44 pm (UTC)
We've tried taking him off milk - we tried soy for some time and he still had the problems. The doctor said to try rice milk, but he hates it for some reason.
Aug. 11th, 2004 04:30 pm (UTC)
its takes about 3-6 months or so for the milk (and cheese!!!) to get out of his system. I still would highly suggest you do it to prevent surgery in the future. I also suggest you take him off eggs and peanutbutter. It is *typical* for a child (or adult) with his problems to be allergic to dairy (especially cheese and milk), eggs (very bad) and peanutbutter (over 400 pesticides in peanutbutter). I even had learning disabilities becacause of these three things in my diet! Just quit eating them as a family! (i still use eggs in things like cake, no problem for me, but no egg breakfasts and no quiche or angelfood cake!)

I know your life is hectic enough without someone telling you to "do" anything more. I know how hard it can be to deal with a chronicly sick child, having been one myself. And I am sure you have heard alot of this before.... but I just cant *not* tell you these things when it took me 30 years and several surgeries to figure it out for myself.

Take a look here for more info...
Aug. 11th, 2004 05:39 pm (UTC)
Thanks for the information. Matthew doesn't eat peanut products as he IS allergic to them. He has been testing for milk allergies and didn't show any, but we took him off milk anyway. I'll take a look at the information you sent on and see if there is something I can use.

Thanks again!!
Aug. 11th, 2004 04:34 pm (UTC)
oh, and this is a really great link here.

Mar. 26th, 2005 08:00 am (UTC)
Has Matthew been evaluated for fungal sinusitis? My aunt had an evaluation with her last surgery and had a couple kinds of fungi identified as growing in her sinuses. I don't know what's been in mine for the past ten years but in the past year, using the OTC antiseptic spray SinoFresh has partially restored my sense of smell and reduced my sinus flareups to two a month from losing 2-3 days a week to them.
Mar. 26th, 2005 01:54 pm (UTC)
I don't know if they have tested for that in particular - I don't remember it. I know they have cultured it, tested it, done all kinds of things with the damaged tissue they took out during surgery. We think part of it is his reflux makes the sinus infections that much worse, so the ENT is working closely with his GI doc to try to get a hold on the reflux before retreating his sinus infections.
( 8 thoughts — Whatcha' think? )