trshtwns01 (trshtwns01) wrote,

Happy Father's Day!

Scott scored today, but other than that, today isn't that different than any other day. Hmmm...rereading that, it makes it sound like he 'got lucky' :) I actually MEANT that he scored a great deal of presents today - a nice BBQ set, a professional grade 14" skillet, a one-size-fits-all skillet lid that drains and has a clear window in the middle, two magnetic knife strips, nice kitchen scissors, a set of 6 magazine organizers, cards, etc. We then took him out to eat at La Hacienda Ranch, and to Best Buy to get a Slingbox so he can watch TIVO programs from his computer.

On the way home, Scott and I were talking about how surprised we were that we hadn't gained much weight the way we had been eating the last few months but that we needed to get back on our diets. That was quickly followed by a stop at Krispy Kreme. Ummm...yeah. Diet?

What else has been happening? Not too much. I need to call Danny at the hospital, but the swing outside is calling my name. Maybe I'll just take my cell phone out there and call.

I'm looking around for a new recliner to become my new nest. I've had this one six years, and the springs are wearing out a bit. I can't wait to go out next month and start trying new chairs. Does anyone have any recommendations? What I wish I could get is one of those $5000 leather massage chairs that Brookstone has *laugh* I would really never leave then. :)


Being Father's Day, I've been thinking a lot about my dad. I wish I had gotten to know him. He passed away when I was five, so I don't know too much about life with him. However, the things I know make him amazing in my eyes. I often wonder what life would have been like with him around. Just a bit about him, to honor him for this day:

My dad, William George Hughes, Jr., was born in 1925 and was raised in Chattanooga, TN (which is also where he is buried). When he was 15 years old, he tried to run off and join the Cavalry. His mom went after him and dragged him home because he was too young. After turning 18, he joined the Navy, and served for three years during WWII. His first wife providing him with two sons, Rick and Larry. Several years after his divorce in the 60s, dad married my mother. Rick and Larry were pretty much adults by that time. Dad was working out at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL working on the HAWK and TOW missile projects. His hobby was to rebuild pianos, make 'one man band' pianos, collect old telephones and pinball machines to rebuild, and other 'take it apart and make it better' projects. He ironed his own clothes, and loved to cook. Mom and Dad were married for five years, and then had me (SURPRISE!). Unfortunately, my dad's side of the family is also prone to a rapidly progressing lung cancer, which suddenly took my dad's life when I was five.

I only remember a couple of flashes of life with him. I remember standing outside of his hospital room the day he died. I remember the flag being folded at his funeral. There are also good memories, though. I remember his laugh and the sparkle in his eyes. My mother has given me letters he wrote, pictures, videos, and is always free with stories. My half-brother Rick (Larry passed away in the 80s) lives in Jacksonville, FL and sometimes tells me stories about growing up with Dad. It just isn't the same.

I also have always held a firm belief that my dad is still with me. I talk to him regularly, and am teaching the boys to do the same. Since it is Father's day, tonight before bed we will pray and tell their Granddaddy up in heaven that they love him.

If you have your father around, go tell him that you love him. We take for granted the time we have with those we love.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.