?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

Fire! Fire! Fire!

When we built our house, we were very excited about the large gas fireplace in the living room. When we moved in, we had a couple of small fires - just a few hours.

Then we got the gas bill! Just those couple of fires ran the gas bill up by more than $100!!!! When I talked to the gas service to see if it was a mistake...I mean, that HAD to be a mistake. Surely nobody would ever have a fire if it cost about $35 an hour. They said that when you are heating the house, and you have the flue open and a fire going, it sucks all the heat out of your house and you have to work harder to heat the house.

Umm, yes, but $35 an hour???



We had blocked the fireplace with dog crates and made it into the dog's area. I moved all the crates and did a bit of cleaning. (You'll still see the dog stuff off to the side)

I took out all of the gas works and logs, spread out the base layer and put in a candelabra. I bought 8 pillar candles, and I think it looks FANTASTIC! I can have fires now.





Finally, a look at the full fireplace. We've got lots of fossils and gems along the mantle that need to be thinned out. :) Otherwise, I love my fireplace.





What was even funnier was when Scott came home.

He. Was. DRUNK!

He just looked at the fire, pointed, stammered, pointed, then told me to make it go away. I didn't get an explanation. I think it was freaking him out or something. :)

Then he licked my forehead and went to pass out on the bed. All before 9:30.

Comments

( 9 thoughts — Whatcha' think? )
greyboy
Jan. 18th, 2006 06:40 am (UTC)
I've been meaning to get one of those for my fireplace. Where did you get yours?
georgiaskydiver
Jan. 18th, 2006 03:12 pm (UTC)
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait a minute. Back up.

He licked your forehead???
trshtwns01
Jan. 18th, 2006 03:34 pm (UTC)
Yeah, it's kind of a joke around this house, especially with the kids. Let's see if I can explain in a way that makes sense.

Have you seen the Charlie Brown Christmas special? The one they've been playing every year since you and I were kids? Well, we started watching it with the kids when they were about 2. There are a couple of parts that make them absolutely CRACK UP! One is where Snoopy is pretending to be all of the different animals to show his acting skills. The other is where he plants a big, juicy lick along someone's face (followed by WAHHHHHHH! when they say yuck).

To tease the kids, we started saying we were going to give 'Snoopies' and threaten to lick them. It then became a game - almost the same as tickling or wet willies. :) Best thing is to get someone when they aren't expecting it.

So, he leaned over and gave me a Snoopy!

WAAAAHHHHH!
genebob
Jan. 18th, 2006 05:44 pm (UTC)
{giggle}

when I moved into my home, I noticed two scorch marks at opposite ends of the house, in the bathroom (marble) and in the kitchen (Formica). Turns out the prior resident liked lighting candles but then let them burn ALL the way out .. such that they became One With The Surroundings.

I left them, so as to add ambience to the rooms.
oddharmonic
Jan. 18th, 2006 10:18 pm (UTC)
In the last house we rented in North Carolina, I found oddly-shaped scorch marks when I cleaned the carpets after we moved in. I couldn't figure out what they were and took photos to document it for the landlord, which I later shared with a couple friends that were equally confused by the shape and spacing of the marks.

When we moved out, I found out that the scorch marks were from a previous tenant that had ironed his uniforms on the floor.
genebob
Jan. 18th, 2006 11:38 pm (UTC)
what a Neanderthal! the least he could've done is use the walls as an ironing board. :)
oddharmonic
Jan. 18th, 2006 10:23 pm (UTC)
Pretty!

I wonder if we could do that with our gas fireplace... it'd be a good outlet for Vogon's ever-growing candle stash.
trshtwns01
Jan. 18th, 2006 10:47 pm (UTC)
There is a way to check, but it's dirty. I was afraid that somehow the gas was tied into the logs or base. It wasn't. They just sat inside. It seems that there is a grill in the bottom that pumps gas upward towards the logs or whatever you have in there. When you light it, it looks like the logs are burning. All I had to do was pull the logs out one by one, pick up the iron stand they were on and clean up a bit.

The candelabra just sat in there, and since the gas is never turned on in there it should be fine.

See the comment above for greyboy, because the one I have is on sale at Amazon.com for $20 right now. I used a $20 gift certificate my boss gave me for Christmas. :)
( 9 thoughts — Whatcha' think? )